Welcome

Thank you for checking out my blog. After talking with many friends, I have discovered that the cooking occuring in my kitchen is more rare than I expected. For this reason, I have decided it is time to share what goes on in my kitchen, even if it is just plain normal in my eyes.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Summer Dinners

We have had a heat wave around here lately so I've been struggling to find cold meals that don't feel like we are running a sandwich shop and don't constantly contain salad.

Last night my solution was cold pasta salad with pesto.  My husband told me he'd prefer it warm.  Gee, thanks.  I tried it both ways and either one really is fine, I guess it just depends what you're looking for.

Here's what I did:

1. Boil the pasta of your choice, I chose whote wheat penne.  Drain and rinse when cooked.
2. Make pesto sauce (or buy it).  I just guestimate when I make pesto, it's never been an issue.  This time around I used 4 garlic scapes, 5 big bunches of basil and somewhere around a 1/2c. olive oil.  After it's blended in the food processor, I add a generous amount of parmesan cheese.
3. Mix pesto with pasta until the pasta is well coated.  Refridgerate pasta mixture until cool.  If you don't need all the pesto (I didn't even need half what I made) then just freeze the remainder in small portions for later.
4. Sautee a salmon filet (or two if you're big meat eaters) - I served it warm, but had it cold later, again, either is good.  I placed a half a salmon filet on top of each of our bowls of pasta and added a generous portion of chopped tomatoes.
5. I served this with a big slice of cantelope and we had chocolate pudding cream pie for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment