Welcome

Thank you for checking out my blog. After talking with many friends, I have discovered that the cooking occuring in my kitchen is more rare than I expected. For this reason, I have decided it is time to share what goes on in my kitchen, even if it is just plain normal in my eyes.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Thinking About Food

Sometimes I think the hardest thing about cooking is deciding what to cook.  Take last week for example.  I wanted to bake something, particularly something bread-like (is that a word?), but realistically if I had made everything I wanted there was no way we could have eaten it all.  As it is I put half the buns in the freezer and gave a way several of the scones, we just simply cannot eat that much!

One way I have found to prevent the last minute decision making, and frustration of not having what I need in the cupboard, is meal planning.  Sometimes I am very formal about it and write down exactly what we are having for dinner every night and the types of things I expect to have for breakfast, but other times I just keep it in my head. 

I notice an obvious difference in the flow of my week nights when I have it written down!  I have an amazing husband and I think he gets as much pleasure out of "following my plan" as I get out of making it.  On several occassions I've come home after him to find that he has consulted my list and started things accordingly.  I love it!  I am a blessed woman to have a husband that is so helpful!

I find that when I write out my meals in advance it also helps me come home from work and allows me some time to zone out for a while before I have to pay attention.  If the list says spaghetti and meatballs then I know I need to start the water and collect those ingredients.  If the list says stir fry then I just need to find all the vegetables I can and start chopping.  The list tells me what to do and prevents any further decision making on my part, which is good because by the time I get home, I am ready to stop making decisions! 

Did you know that teachers generally make 1,500 decisions every day?  I learned that in college and just never forgot it.

Back to our topic of meal planning, I know many women keep their meal plans in a binder and cycle through them every so often and just pull out an old menu and beging the cycle again, but I don't think that would ever work for me.  We enjoy a variety of food and I work hard to buy our food on sale so that often determines what goes onto the menu plan.  In addition, we like to try new recipes and I don't think cycling through a constant rotation of spaghetti, pizza, calzones, stir fry, and baked chicken would satisfy my husband.

Anyway, thats how my meal plan saves me and if I am smart, I will remember this advice and be more purposeful about creating my weekly or biweekly meal plan.

Dinner Tonight:
Tonight we are going to enjoy some leftover Chicken Cacciatore, salad with sweet peppers and tomatoes, and warmed whole grain bread.  It should be a simple, tasty meal in only about 15 minutes.

How about you, what do you do to make the most out of the food you buy?

No comments:

Post a Comment