Welcome

Thank you for checking out my blog. After talking with many friends, I have discovered that the cooking occuring in my kitchen is more rare than I expected. For this reason, I have decided it is time to share what goes on in my kitchen, even if it is just plain normal in my eyes.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Food Revolution

The Food Revolution returns on April 12th!  If you didn't catch this show last year, I highly recommend you take some time to check it out this year.  You don't need to be a "foodie" to appreciate what Jamie Oliver has to teach us about food and how food is made.  He is incredibly passionate about his mission to change the way people eat! 

My favorite part is how blunt he is about the problems with our food.  A large amount of food in our country is highly processed and that means we really don't have a very good idea of where our food comes from.  That is a problem!  Last season Jamie showed students various vegetables and they had no idea what they were.  They had no idea where a french fry came from!  How does that even happen? 

I think it is the "wow" factor that keeps me watching.  I am appalled by the resistance he faces in his attempts to education people about their food!  I am also disgusted by how flat-out rude some people are.  Why not just take the information he is giving you and the advice he has and try itBetter yet, even if you don't want to try it, what is the harm in listening?  At some point you may have the time or interest to give it a go. 

It seems that often his proposals are seen too difficult or exceptionally odd.  I struggle to see his ideas as radical.  It seems like common sense that when presented with fatty, sugary, salty choices people will choose them over a piece of fresh fruit, grilled meat or steamed veggies.  However, when only presented with sauteed, grilled or fresh food they will eat it because they are hungry! 

Did you watch the Food Revolution last year?  Do you plan to check it out this year?  What are your thoughts on the subject?

No comments:

Post a Comment