Welcome

Thank you for checking out my blog. After talking with many friends, I have discovered that the cooking occuring in my kitchen is more rare than I expected. For this reason, I have decided it is time to share what goes on in my kitchen, even if it is just plain normal in my eyes.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Beef Au Jus

I love my slow cooker!  I do not use it nearly enough!  Last week I bought a beautiful beef roast on sale for about $5.  It started at closer to $11 so I figured it would be a pretty tasty piece of meat and we don't buy roasts very often.  I knew right away that we should have beef au jus sandwiches!

Last night I took it out of the freezer and let it thaw over night in the fridge.  It was still pretty frozen this morning, but I don't really worry about that with the slow cooker, I figure it's got ten hours to thaw out and cook.

So this morning, I dropped in it the slow cooker with two cups of water, one packet of onion soup mix and two tablespoons of chicken bullion.  I sliced half an onion on top and then put the lid on.

Fast forward ten hours and it was waiting for me to come home and poke it a few times so it would turn into shredded meat (I seriously only needed to poke at it a bit, it just fell apart!).  We toasted a few hot dog buns and put the beef on top with a sprinkle of motzarella and then served it with a little bowl of "au jus".  YUMMY! 

The sides were super simple tonight as well - slice orange peppers, cantaloupe, and a tomato with balsamic and olive oil. 

I am now very happy that I have a clean kitchen and a big chunk of my night left!

No comments:

Post a Comment